• Starting from scratch-my junk stash

by  • September 21, 2011 • Garden Junk, Old doors and windows •  Comments

Pin It
    Old doors

Old doors

As a tribute to my dear Tractor Man, all these doors and windows for future projects were moved 300 miles north when we moved from the suburbs of Southern California to the mountains near Yosemite National Park.  Not one word was said, except for this, “Are we keeping these?”  His face showed no reaction, when I said a bit tentatively, “Yes.”   Nodding, he turned and started loading all my doors and windows into an open bed trailer for the first trip up.

Ladders

Ladders

Old ladders are often discarded on trash day when a new one is needed. No reason you can’t use them in the garden!  These are collected  and displayed leaned up against the old goat shed we found on the place.

Old tools and Grandma's chair

Old tools and Grandma’s chair

This chair was my Grandma’s, now 75 years old!   Some of the handle tools are Grandpa’s and some found at yard sales.

One Flea Market Gardening reader, Barbra, says, “When those chair legs rust thru, cut them, run a piece of PVC inside the leg (or outside if its larger PVC) and spot weld it back together. Hubby puts a couple of screws into it to stabilize the PVC and TA-DA….. nothing goes to the scrap pile!”

I wish I had know that before. At a barbeque in our back yard, one of  Tractor Man’s burly friends sat on the other one of Grandma’s chairs and kept going! Before our eyes, he sank back,…slowly….to the ground with his feet up in the air!

Update, April 10, 2013:

Yes, the hubs has never questioned me, in my remembrance about anything I really wanted to do and has helped me when I need muscle.  He calls it “doing my bidding.”  He’s given me a truckload of rocks, twice for my birthday and a lovely 3 gallon backpack sprayer so I can keep my garden paths clear of weeds.

Oh, he allowed me to buy myself a diamond ring on our 10 year anniversary, but though I love it, it doesn’t near mean as much to me as the ordinary things we do in the garden. I’m the brains, he’s the brawn. Now that we have been married twenty  years, we don’t really think about gifts much for any occasion.  Our anniversary is today and what will we be doing?  We’ll be out in the garden…building me a deer fence.  Happy Anniversary,  Honey.  ~~ Sue

Pin It

About

Sue Langley, a passionate gardener and photographer lives and gardens with her husband and Corgi, Maggie on 7 acres just south of Yosemite, Zone 7 at 3000 feet. She manages the Flea Market Gardening Facebook page and website.

Comments

1. Sharon Orlando-Evans says:

Happy Anniversary !!!

2. Love the story ! What is it about old stuff that keeps us going – old motorcycles and old garden things and bicycles, too. The guys at the bike shop one year thought it was “really strange” that I got a set of new tires for my mountain bike for Valentine’s Day one year instead of flowers. Happy Anniversary to you both and many many more!

3. Ann Elias says:

Congrats on 20 years to you both!

4. Marie Niemann says:

Happy Anniversary to both of you! What a sweet relationship you have still after 20 years! ♥ My hubby and I don’t buy gifts normally for any special reason. He’s discovered I’d rather have him help me with a project than to open a gift. He surprised me at Christmas with 6 tree stumps hollowed out to plant! He’s a keeper!! Have a wonderful day together in the garden!

5. Myra Glandon says:

What a sweet story. Congrats on the anniversary and I hope you take time to have a picnic or something and enjoy the time together.

I agree about the gifts and not just anniversary gifts. Some of my favorite gifts were a truckload of gravel one mother’s day, the owl pellet my granddaughter gave me for Valentines Day this year, the old stuff picked up here and there that someone knew I would like….. I get up at 5am each day for work. My hubby doesn’t have to be to be at work until 9am, but he gets up with me every morning, fixes me coffee, makes sure I take my medicine, and usually gets me something to eat. He constantly tries to take care of me.

Uncommon gifts are priceless and normally come from the pricesless people in our lives.

Enjoy your day.

6. Jeanne Sammons says:

Happy Anniversary, Sue & Tractor Man! May this day be as blessed as so many have been over the past 20 years. Hugs to both of you ..

7. Linda says:

You guys sound just like my hubby and myself. We’ve been married 23 years and a thoughtful gift to me would be a bunch of pallets lol.
      Happy anniversary to you both.

Linda

8. Nancy K. Meyer says:

I have had my tractor man for 50 years and he is a keeper, too. He has made me, the two ddaughters, and the granddaughter bottle trees, ect. –but he “doesn’t care” about that “stuff”. Best wishes to the two of you and many more anniversaries to come.

9. Donna says:

This sounds like me! ha ha… my 30th is coming up next month thinking hard on that one :)
      Love your site !

10. Kat Wynveen says:

I’ve had my Tractor Man for nearly 47 years, and I wouldn’t trade him for anything!

11. Nell Howard Stelzer says:

Happy 20th Anniversary,Sue and Larry , I wish you many more wonderful and fun filled years !!!

12. Jimmye Porter says:

Happy, Happy Anniversary!!!
      Sounds as if both of you found the “one” over twenty years ago…. good gardening in the next 80…

13. Angie says:

Thanks for sharing. He sounds a lot like my husband. He tells people he’s my mule or work horse. On the days when he isn’t at work he’ll even go to the flea market or garage sales with me and carry my stuff. He has had to accept the fact that I prefer plants or yard items over jewelry or bouquets of flowers. We’ll celebrate our 26th next month. Hope you had a great anniversary.